Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Heads or tails?

Today was a bit rocky. Meg was physically the healthiest she has been this morning, kicking, crying, looking at her surroundings, and generally making her presence known. However, we have seen at least four definitive seizures since we arrived twelve hours ago. This was discouraging, especially when the doctors continue to speak of her approaching release. Our nurse today told Jen that they want us to take the reins of Meg's care while we are here, and after one of Meg's seizures, the nurse gave us the impression that she may have seizures once we return home and that we will need to learn how to deal with them. This was extremely discouraging as we were under the impression that the seizures would be controlled by proper drug dosage before we left here. I guess the word "controlled" has varied definitions.

Tonight, Meg experienced another seizure. A nurse that we had not yet met reported the seizure and proceeded to tell Jen and me about her five year old son who has experienced seizures from birth and who has all kinds of problems. Reality, but perhaps not the best timing for that personal anecdote. Nevertheless, we learned that medicating for seizures is not exact, and that some medications will help for a while and suddenly stop working. "Trial and error" is the phrase she used. Great.

So at 9 p.m., we were down. Jen and I were both having fearful visions of us taking Meg home in a few days, watching her have seizures but hoping she just would have a few each day, blindly trying to find a combination of drugs that would minimize her seizures, and waiting for a possible precise diagnosis. This is a grim picture.

After Jen left in tears, the neurologist came in and decided to increase Meg's medication and continue the trial and error process here at the hospital. His words: "We will not send her home until we get the seizures stopped."

He then prescribed a larger dose of the p.b., and the nurse explained to me how to mix it with a tiny portion of the milk. When Meg awoke, I mixed it myself, shaken not stirred, and served her the revolting cocktail, and then fed her the rest of the milk which she lapped up gratefully. I held her on my shoulder for nearly an hour, during which time the sweet-smelling babe reassured her fretting father that she was one of God's greatest blessings to his life - all with only an occasional infant sigh. And after some setbacks today, hope springs eternal.

5 comments:

  1. praying for you all! I can't imagine the emotions right now and pray the Lord will fill you with peace even with all the unknowns. one day at a time-i pray the Lord would protect your minds and allow you the strength to trust him with sweet Meg today. i tried to comment once before but i don't think it went through but just want you to know that we are praying here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan-
    You could not have described the conversation with that nurse better. I was on the phone with Jen when that was happening, and that lady was VERY doom and gloom! I hope that you are choosing not to accept that as Meg's fate! God is more than able to make a complete healing, and we are praying for that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finny was just on my lap as I was scrolling up and he saw the picture up on top and he said, "That's Meg!! And Ella!!" I asked him if he wanted to pray for her and he said yes, so we did! Just wanted to encourage you with that. I hope you feel the love and support of everyone you know!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even know you guys, but our mutual friend Papa Mike referred me to your blog. I want you to know that I am going to continue following along, praying for you and your family, as are my family, my church family, and my facebook family. God is in control. Meg is already in His service by bringing many people to their knees. Be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ones,

    It's ridiculous for anyone to dare to say how things will be with Meg as time goes on! She is God's beloved daughter, fearfully and wonderfully made, and His plans for her are good.

    You have the absolute right to interrupt anyone like that nurse with, "Thank you, but we prefer not to hear any negative stories now." Do NOT let them speak that stuff over Meg!

    Blessings - Mary

    ReplyDelete